Sunday, July 20, 2008

Some news, and a break

Hello, faithful readers.

I'm going to be taking an extended blogging break - probably 4-6 weeks - and then I will be back with an announcement and a renewed commitment to my blogs. Until then, here are a couple headlines that have popped up recently:

An Arkansas court of appeals says that shackling prisoners during labor is not unconstitutional.

After a six-year absence, nurse-midwives are returning to Austin hospitals.

Midwife-signed birth certificates along the Texas-Mexico border questioned.

If you haven't heard, the AMA has joined ACOG in opposing homebirths. For more on this flap, check out these responses from ICAN, MANA (pdf), Citizens for Midwifery, and Ricki Lake, Jennifer Block & Abby Epstein on the HuffintonPost. Feel free to leave a link to your favorite blog post in the comments.

7 comments:

The Mommy Blawger said...

The ACNM has responded, opposing the AMA's resolution:
http://www.midwife.org/ACNM_Response_to_AMA.cfm

Campbellkidz said...

Oohhhh I love all the links and info. Nice post. I would like to link my readers to this post.

Diana said...

Hi! Just found your blog while looking up info on the link between c/s & epidurals. Great blog!

Diana

DoulaMomma said...

Hi, mommy blawger...just checking your blogs out too, since you visited mine. Wow - were we separated at birth? Three boys, non- practicing attorney, birth...
Nice to "meet" you - I'll add you to my blogroll check in regularly!

The Mommy Blawger said...

My thoughts exactly, DoulaMomma.

I have a short list of birth-junkie lawyer-moms; I think Doulicia and Andi Silverman at Mama Knows Breast and a couple others I can't recall offhand. If I find enough of us I'll start a separate category of links.

DoulaMomma said...

Very cool - not sure i knew that about Doulicia - will check out the others!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.