Saturday, September 08, 2007

Planning a Protest

Well, I'm back from the Applebee's protest. I'm exhausted! We had 30 adults (moms, dads, and grandparents) and over 50 babies and children. But no press :( despite all my efforts at sending out press releases this week. One station (NBC5) did carry a blurb on the six o'clock news, just using the information we provided, but did not have the personnel to send a crew out to the protest itself. Numbers are still coming in, but looks like nationwide we had nearly 2000 people at 101 events in 43 states.

Oh, but the really exciting news (at least to me) is that I finally bought the shirt I have wanted for at least two years. Mine looks just like the photo and has "I Make Milk. What's Your Super Power" embroidered on it. I bought it at Granola Threads, and the owner, Keri, was most helpful in making sure I received it in time for today's event. You can buy shirts with the same slogan at Cafe Press and the like, but they are about as expensive and not nearly such good quality. Plus, it was on sale.

One interesting thing about planning this protest is that I learned a bit more about First Amendment law. Perhaps I should say "re-learned" - I'm pretty sure it was on the bar exam. I interfaced with an assistant city attorney, a police lieutenant, and a patrol officer. I discussed easements. I read through the Arlington Municipal Code and now know how to apply for a parade permit, should I ever wish to organize a parade. I didn't speak to the press, but I learned how to write and send out a press release. And I sharpened my skills at organizing people, by doing it and by watching others do it. I took the lead when no one else was willing. I'm looking at this big picture. I'm adding tools to my toolbox.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go you! My friend, Katy, participated in an Applebee's protest in Arizona and I know they got press. A quick news search indicates others did, too, although I was disappointed to read that the woman who was originally discriminated against didn't make it.

Lawyer Mama said...

I love that shirt! How disappointing that there wasn't much press coverage.

Summer said...

I've wanted that shirt forever it seems and I nevr trat myself to it. I think I'm going to have to now.