Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Miscellaneous Items

The Chicago Tribune reports that Illinois has passed a law automatically exempting breastfeeding moms from jury duty. In most states, persons who are the primary caregivers for young children are exempt from jury duty anyway, but this law comes into play in the situation, for example, where a mom works full-time and pumps.
8/5/05 ETA: Don't miss the discussion over on PrawfsBlawg

Speaking of which, this is World Breastfeeding Week. Information on WBW from La Leche League, ProMom, and World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action.

Tom Mayo of the HealthLawProfs blog has some interesting comments on the Susan Torres case.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having such laws is not a bad step to acknowledging that mothers remain mothers even if they work (and so they need to pump), although I'd much prefer a law requiring employers to provide a non-bathroom space for pumping (some states already have it); the courts are usually fairly understanding about issues like this anyway. At least it has been so in my experience, when I had to tell the Judge, for example, that I could be on the jury, but I'd have to run to the bathroom every twenty minutes because I was suffering from morning sickness. Fortunately, I was excused and she wished me well.

The Mommy Blawger said...

There was a good discussion on the jury exemption issue at PrawfsBlog,
http://prawfsblawg.blogs.com/prawfsblawg/2005/08/nursing_mothers.html